Sunday, September 11, 2011

Race Report: John Tanner Park Sprint Tri--September 10, 2011

This race season I've been participating in Tri the Parks Race Series and did a total of 4 races.  It's very well organized and everyone is so friendly and helpful--but I find that triathletes are generally that way :)  The series begins and ends with a race on this same race course, which makes it ideal for tracking progress. If you recall, the first race in April didn't go so smoothly, so I was hoping with all my heart to improve my time in all 3 areas (plus the transitions).





Basic rundown:

Start time: 8:00 a.m.
Weather: Low 60's at start (water temp 76) and in the 70's by the finish
Swim: 600 meters (650 yds) in 14:19 minutes
Bike: 13.8 miles in 45:58 minutes
Run:  5K (3.1 miles) in 33:20 minutes
T1: 1:24  and  T2: 1:28
Total race time: 1:36:25 (Personal Best!  Woohoo!)


Pre-race (rituals, getting there and thoughts running through my head)

This was the first race I've gone to all on my own without my training buddy. I seemed fine most of the week, but Friday at work I began getting more and more nervous.  I really wanted to do well and beat my previous times.  Knowing that the most difficult challenges in the April race proved to be mental, I prepped my mind with positive thoughts and dialogue.  Maybe this seems silly to the average person, but I'm pretty sure that anyone who has pushed themselves in any sort of race or competition understands that this is completely necessary. 

I got to the park just a little after 6 a.m., picked up my race packet and got marked, then headed to transition to set up my area.  I was on the very last rack near the "swim in" and "run out", which basically is one of the worst spots to be in, because I had to run with my bike (and with bike shoes on) through the entire transition area to get to the other end for the "bike out" and then run back through it all with my bike before heading for the run.   Since the racks are assigned, there was nothing I could do about it, so I just acknowledged that it would take a little longer and I'd have to be extra speedy in the other areas like putting shoes on, etc.  I made sure I took time to visualize my transitions after I had my area set up.  This consisted of me standing there with my hands on my hips staring at my towel with transition items on it and repeating in my head "come up from swim, put helmet on while I wipe feet, slip shoes on, grab bike, go!" and "socks, running shoes, race number belt, hat, go!"



An announcement was made that the lake water was a lovely 76 degrees, and it was wetsuit legal...but I totally didn't bring my wetsuit with me because I thought there was NO way it would be that cold.  Many others were in the same boat as me...but 76 honestly isn't THAT cold.  I would rather swim in 76 degree water than the warm bathwater that was typical for the summer races.  I got in before the race start to warm up my neck and shoulder, and it actually felt warmer in the water than standing around in the cold air.

As the clock was ticking down to the start, everyone was anxiously standing on the beach listening to announcements.  They played our national anthem, said a prayer, and had a moment of silence for the victims of 9/11 and their families.  That really put things into perspective and made my worries and fears seem so trivial.

The Swim

I was in the third wave, wearing a pink cap as usual.  We started 6 minutes after the 1st wave of men.  I've been trying out different swim start strategies this season to see if I can find one that suits me best.  The first race I started in the second row and got kicked and swam on, which resulted in labored breathing and a stressful swim.  The following 2 races I started at the very back, waiting a few seconds after the "go", but that plan backfired on me because then I was stuck behind slower swimmers.  This time my plan was to start on the outer right in the front row.  It actually seemed to work!  Granted, I did feel people's hands touching my legs and feet, but I just kept swimming.

I was having a hard time seeing the buoys because of the fog on the water, but seemed to be ok with swimming in the right direction :P  One lady kept swimming off to the right too far, then would realize she was going off course and make a bee-line back, cutting in front of me and kicking my hands.  She did this THREE times--no joke!  I would lose sight of her and think I managed to pass her, would turn to the right to breathe and see her off course, would breathe to the left a few times, and then WHAM, there she was zigzagging in front of me again! 

The second half of the swim had the sun shining in our eyes if we looked to the left.  I had tinted goggles on, but it was still too bright, so I tried to breathe to the right more frequently.  During this last half I also kept swimming through all kinds of "lake stuff".  Branches, weeds, seaweed type stuff...my hands felt like they were getting caught in fishing nets and the thoughts in my head went something like this:

"Ewww, what IS that?! Eww, get it off me, get it off mee! Ahh it's stuck in my fingerrrsss!  Get away! Get away! WHAT IS HAPPENING!?" 

Between the zig-zag swimmer and the "lake stuff", I had NO IDEA how I was doing in the swim.  I felt like I might have been too slow, so I picked up the pace for the last 200.  When I got out of the water I made sure to smile at the camera man--although, I've recently come to realize that when I try to smile during a race it comes out looking like I'm in pain, so we'll see how that one turns out!  :)

As I was running up the hill to transition, I looked back and still saw lots of pink caps in the water and people were telling me "good job", so I thought I must have been fast.  In the transition area a lot of the bikes were still on the racks and I got a little excited.  My time was pretty much the same as the 1st race though, and while I WAS the 2nd out of the water in my age group, it seemed to have been a slower group of swimmers. 

The Bike

It is really hard to transition from swimming to biking, especially when you have to run uphill from the lake and the air is cold.  But adrenaline takes over and you do it... and when you hear someone gasping for air and breathing heavy, you may not immediately realize that that someone is actually YOU. 

As I got going on the bike I felt like I was dying, but then I remembered my positive dialogue and told myself "Nope, not you, you're not dying--you're RACING!  Look at you go! Go! Go!"

I passed some people in the first stretch, made sure to smile at the camera again, and then kept pushing onward.  This course was "rolling hills" and was actually kind of fun.  I managed to stay with a group of riders for pretty much the entire ride.  We would pass each other back and forth and I tried to make positive/friendly comments, but no one seemed interested in talking during this race. I don't expect full on conversations and becoming best friends during a race, but I mean, people weren't even saying "Good job!" to each other.  It was a quiet race.  

I remember during the bike portion in April there were areas of uphill where I felt so out of breath and was on my lowest gear wishing I had more options for gearing.  This time I NEVER felt that way!  I mean, of course I felt out of breath at times, but my legs are stronger, by golly!  :)  And somehow a minor miracle happened-- I cut my bike time by 6 minutes!  Yippeee!

The Run

Of course my legs felt like Jello and I was a bit shaky running with my bike to transition, but I made it, put on my running shoes, grabbed my run stuff and headed out.  Shortly after beginning the run, I felt like there was something in my shoe...a lump under my last three toes on my left foot.  I stopped briefly and took off my shoe...nope, nothing.  I started going again and felt the same thing, so I stopped briefly again, took out my orthotics insole...hmmm...everything seems fine.  Then I felt my toes and realized they were just FROZEN from the chilly sockless bike ride with wet feet!  Apparently they were starting to thaw out :P  Oh ok, everything makes sense...one minute wasted on something completely silly..now GO!  Run!

This run course was HILLY.  I knew that going into it.  I also knew the first mile was basically flat and made myself keep running/shuffling/jogging for the entire first mile.  I only stopped to walk up the biggest hill and then for small parts of 2 others, but overall really pushed myself to the point of "chills".  As I mentioned in the bike course, the run course was also really quiet.  It was a bit odd to me...but yet strangely peaceful at the same time.  There we all were running quietly with our own thoughts, goals and ambitions, pressing towards the finish-line. 

And then there I was approaching the finish!  What? So soon?  Compared to the Olympic I did last month, this run seemed short--and never would I have ever imagined thinking that!  The finish line is on a hill...so it's tough.  But I pushed up the hill, smiled at the camera (THAT pic should be "good") and crossed the line feeling like I gave it my best! 

One of my goals for the season was to get my sprint time under 1:40 AND I DID IT!  Not only did I do it, but I did it by about 4 minutes!  :)

It was a great race day for me.  Sure I still have plenty of room for improvements, but I set a personal best and can now end the triathlon season on a high note!

After the race I spent the day with my niece making heart-shaped cookies (at HER request).


How could I say no to such a cute little girl...after all, she is the reason I Tri

My niece and her beautiful scars--3 years old, 5 open heart surgeries, and a contagious love for life











No comments:

Post a Comment