Monday, June 9, 2014

Ironman Training: 8 Weeks Completed!

Eight weeks done, and now it's down to serious business.  The focus of the first 8 weeks was to build a sufficient base before starting the BUILD phase.  Starting this week (week 9), the distances will consistently get longer, further, more intense.  GULP! I mean, YAY!  :)

Yup, GAME ON!
To sum up the last several weeks:

I attended an IM Chattanooga training camp that was organized by some local Georgia tri coaches and groups.  Unfortunately it rained the entire weekend, so I chose not to ride the course by bike for safety reasons. At least I got to run the course and meet some new people. It's always good to have more familiar faces and smiles on race day!

IMCHOO camp group
Camp sponsors/support
Running the IMCHOO course with Kimberly

When it rains, you find a way ;)
A little Chattanooga site seeing in the rain :)

I am not one to ever miss a photo opportunity!
I also participated in a Congenital Heart Walk in Atlanta with some fellow Ironheart teammates and my 6 year old niece who was born with a heart defect.  I was in complete awe of her for walking (and running some) almost the entire 5K! Though it can be exhausting for us adults to keep up, I am very grateful for her healthy and active life, filled with so much excitement and energy!




Kimberly and I also signed up for a metric century ride about a week ago.  The course was supposed to be 60 miles, but a bunch of us missed a turn somewhere and it ended up being almost 70!  Whoops! Lessons learned: always take a cue sheet, always bring extra food, and always top off your bottles at each aid stop.  I was fine, but it was a HOT day, and an extra 10 miles in the saddle makes a BIG difference on a hilly course in the sun!  I did manage to take some good photos though!

The ultimate selfie!

Oh yeah, check out my selfie skills!

Haaaay girl!


Yesterday I decided to hit the trails with my Lupa girl.  I have been missing trail running badly, and since I only had a 45 min run on the schedule, I decided it was the perfect opportunity to take Lupa along.  It was a hot and HUMID Georgia day, so I waited until 6:30 pm and then took the trail that ran along a river so Lupa could take plenty of breaks to cool off in the water.  Within the first few minutes of running, sweat was pouring off me uncontrollably. Ah yes, Georgia summer is upon us...and I was having flashbacks of all my ultra trail run training last summer.  Always soaking wet with sweat or rain or both.  I LOVE IT! :)

Sometimes it's really great to forget about the watch, your run pace, the time, and just run in nature and enjoy the experience.  Leaping over tree roots, rocks, fallen trees, and climbing over big boulders just makes me feel alive and in love with life!

Lupa's first encounter with a turtle

A new friend!

Sniffing a turtle in the path. Lupa looks so much like a wolf here!

In case you couldn't tell by the first photo, I am a BIG Game of Thrones fan and have always loved dragons and wolves. Seriously, since I was a kid I was fascinated with them.  I named my dog Lupa, which means 'She-Wolf' in Latin, because she has some Wolf-like characteristics.  You can imagine how excited I was when I found out a cycling jersey like this existed! Amazon, I love you! :)


And now I am ready to build, baby, build!

Ah yes...these homemade pvc pipe rollers are being put to good use again :)


No comments:

Post a Comment