Is anyone else ready for Fall?!
On Sunday I met some friends in Chattanooga to do a double loop of the Ironman bike course. I started at the BI-LO shopping center to make it a 105 mile ride. Here is my impression of the course on a day which reached 90 degrees:
The first part of the course is definitely the most challenging. The long stretch on Hwy 193 has a few hills that got my heart pumping and legs burning. It was ok on the first loop, but the second loop was noticeably more difficult for me. When you make the right hand turn onto Cove Road, be prepared for 10 miles of false flats and strong winds. If you overexert yourself on this road, it could very well be your demise on race day. I personally found it to be the most mentally challenging area, so it is important to find positive things to think about. I made a point to occasionally look up to take in the beautiful scenery of farmland with the mountainous background. I also started chanting "Just get to Hog Jowl. Just get to Hog Jowl.", which is the left hand turn off Cove and filled with some fun rollers and winding country roads.
![]() |
| Some much needed Cove Rd laughs |
![]() |
| Downtown Chickamauga |
![]() |
| This is how I eat potato chips after riding 80 miles :) |
![]() |
| Somehow I still managed to smile for a post-ride selfie! Practicing for Race Day! |
Nutrition:
6 GU gels (600 calories)
1 1/2 Cliff Shot Blocks (250 calories)
3/4 Larabar (150 calories)
1 Rice Krispie Treat (200? calories)
3/4 small bag Lay's potato chips (200calories)
1 bottle Skratch mix (100 calories)
1 bottle lemonade (100 calories)
5 bottles water (I think)
Total calorie intake (best estimate): 1600
Total ride time (not including stops): 6hrs 15 mins
Total distance: 105 miles
Other noteworthy items
Roadkill seen:
2 snakes
1 skunk
1 raccoon
1 opossum
Live animals seen:
3 unleashed dogs (friendly)
1 large cow on the side of the road (had escaped from the fence)
A cowboy riding a horse on the highway (had to do a double take and rub my eyes to make sure I wasn't hallucinating)
5 vultures eating off a huge dead carcass in a field
![]() | |
| This is exactly the look the cow gave me as I pedaled by! |
SIX weeks until IRONMAN Chattanooga, which means 4 more weeks of intense workouts before the taper begins! Dear Lord, keep me sane and healthy!
![]() |
| This is SO true! |







No comments:
Post a Comment