Thursday, October 27, 2011

Trick-or-Treat Fun Run and...What's Next??

Wednesday night I made it over to our local Fleet Feet store in Decatur to join the Halloween trick-or-treat run with some friends.  We had no idea what to expect, but showed up in our running clothes/Halloween costumes with smiles on our faces :)  We were handed a pink slip of paper with a list of places we had to run to to get our treats.  Everyone kind of took off in their own small groups, so the three of us stuck together.  The "trick" part of this event was that no map was provided and we had to run around trying to find restaurants on our own!  Thankfully one of us had GPS on a cellphone (it wasn't me...have you SEEN my phone? Hello, 1998 called and it wants its phone back!) and the people we asked for directions along the way were helpful! 

We ran about 3.5 miles, and besides the little stops here and there, we were running the whole time.  It got dark fast, so I'm glad I brought my lights to put around my tutu (see picture below) :)

(from left to right) Me, the witch, Nikki, the domino, and Kimberly, the UGA Fairy
I liked running in a tutu with the lights...maybe I'll do that for all my evening runs now ;)

What's Next???

Something has come over me recently...earlier this week I began entertaining this idea of running a half marathon race sometime in the near future.  After being couped up in the house for a few days sick,  I just woke up with this urge to run and a desire to keep running farther.  Weird, I know.  For some reason I suddenly think that 13.1 miles doesn't sound so far to run.  Maybe it's because now I know more people who have completed Half Ironman and Ironman races and who are training for ultradistance races and who have run marathons and beyond.  Suddenly I have begun to think that maybe I can run a little further than a 10K (which is actually the furthest I've ever run! hahaha!)
 
I am not alone in this thinking or in this venture.  My trusty training buddy and friend has also been bitten with the same bug.  So...we are planning to run the Georgia Publix Half Marathon March 18th!  This will give us plenty of time to build up the distance in a smart way that will (God-willing) prevent injuries as well.  I know what issues I have when it comes to running (from my neck to my feet!) and also am aware of what I need to do to help keep me from getting injured.  That's why I MUST strength train, do core work to keep my back supported, and keep swimming a few times a week to keep my feet and ankles loose.  I have to be smart about my training if I want to succeed and cross that finish line!  Once I complete a half marathon, THEN I will feel comfortable signing up for a Half Ironman ;)  Baby steps!  Which reminds me...



2 comments:

  1. Awesome!! "Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try" Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jason--I love that quote!

    ReplyDelete