![]() |
| They had cute shirts this year--I might have to break my "no pink" policy! |
We left a little later than planned, and had a little GPS hiccup, but made it there an hour before transition closed and had plenty of time to set up our transition area, use the bathroom, meet new people, and do a little warmup swim. What we didn't do was take any photos pre-race!
This summer my training has actually not been triathlon focused. And by that I mean I haven't really been swimming very much. I knew I was being stupid about it and knew that this would not bode well for my swim time in the race, but I was fairly confident that my bike and run would be stronger than last year. In the beginning of the summer I was focused on completing my first century ride (which was GREAT!) and then began training for a 6 hour trail run that is happening in September (eek!). SO it should be no surprise that my swim time for the 1500 meter course was 3 minutes slower than last year, and I take all the blame for that!
SWIM
The swim course was a 2 loop course. In years past we would get out of the lake and run on the beach around a cone before hopping back in for lap 2. This year, however, the water level was so high, there wasn't much of a beach to run onto, so we stayed in the water and swam around a buoy to continue onto loop 2.
The swim was in a lake and the water was about 85 degrees. For some reason the water seemed to be choppy, and I just felt like I was struggling through some of it. I had a pretty good idea I was slow when I realized I was amidst the group of people who would stop to breast stroke and kick me unexpectedly. That is never a pleasant experience, but it comes with the territory!
I was so glad to get out of the water! I was a little disoriented, but once I snapped out of it I started running to transition, and I really picked up some speed running barefoot on that asphalt. I think it was because I looked at my watch and thought "Oh Shiiiit! I have some catching up to do!".
![]() |
| In transition after the race |
BIKE
The bike is a nice 22 mile course that has a few good-sized hills, but mostly fast. Within the first few miles of the bike I was in race mode and passed 2 women, then I saw a police car on the side of the road and a fellow triathlete in a ditch along with her bike. She seemed to be alert and talking, but we heard later that she broke something (an elbow I think). I said a quick prayer and sent her some positive thoughts, and then my mind went back into race mode. I DID have some catching up to do after all!
At about mile 3 of this course we hit the toughest climb. It is especially tough because you are still getting your bearings after being horizontal in the swim with water in your ears and getting your leg muscles going. I've been training on a lot of hills and knew the course, so it wasn't a problem. I passed a few more women and some men on that climb, and a few more on the descent (turns out I'm a speed demon in the car AND the bike!). The roads flattened out a bit and I got into my aerobars where I stayed for most of the ride. I was really pushing it on the bike and ended up completing it in 1:13 at an 18.6 mph average--3 minutes faster than last year!
So I made up the 3 mins from my swim time on the bike and needed to speed up my run in order to better my overall time.
![]() |
| I tried to smile as much as possible during the race too! |
RUN
The 6.2 mile run is a 2 loop course, which I like because then I get to see my friends who are faster than me and give a holler! Most of the course is in direct sun, and it was a hot day! People were stopping to stretch because of heat-induced cramping issues and there was quite a bit of walking. I tried to run as much as possible, but I pushed so hard on the bike, I was already overheating by the time I started running. My right calf and hamstring was tight and on the verge of cramping up, so I made sure to drink plenty of water and pop a few salt tabs.
There was so much sweating going on, I looked like I had just gotten out of the lake. Beads of sweat on my arms, even hands! It was pretty challenging, but I kept it going and crossed the line in 3 hours and 2 minutes. One of my goals is to complete this course in under 3 hours, and I missed it by 2 minutes, BUT there is always next year. This year I ran 4 minutes faster finishing the run in 1:04 and finishing the entire race 4 minutes faster than last year, so I am happy :)
I have to send out a huge congratulations to my friend and training buddy, Kimberly, who finished 3rd in her age group (which is also my age group :P)! Way to go, girl! You earned it!
![]() |
| We look pretty good for an AFTER photo, don't we? :) |
As usual, Tri the Parks put on another great race with great volunteers, and I am thankful for everyone who helped make it a success!
__________________________________________________________________________
Side Notes/lessons learned:
1) PLEASE stay to the right when on the bike unless you are passing or there is a hazard in the road. It is NOT ok to take up the entire lane. For example, on one of the fastest descents a man was swerving to the left and could not hear me yelling as I approached, so I had to cross the yellow line to pass.
2) I made the mistake of wearing a new Tri top for the first time during the race and discovered the bottom of it rolled up and it was too loose on top so it felt like a parachute with the wind on the bike. It is so difficult to find a comfortable figure flattering tri outfit for my body type--always too loose in one place and too tight in another :( The lesson here is: Never try anything new on race day!







No comments:
Post a Comment