This summer I have been focusing on trail running since something crazy possessed me to sign up for a 6 hr trail run in September. At the time (Late Spring) I was thinking: I like running and I LOVE nature and hiking, so a trail run sounds fabulous! That was before I had really run any legit trails with a goal time in mind. Fast forward to my first long distance trail run in June, and I was seriously doubting my abilities. Turns out I chose a trail area that was more technical than I was prepared for, and I also kept choosing the trails less traveled (for good reason it turned out) and ended up with a face full of spider webs (including the spiders) and rolling an ankle here and there on rocks and roots.
I stuck it out and did 11 miles that day, and it took me FOREVER. I was sore in places I had never been sore before...but I also LOVED the feeling of accomplishment that came with it! I went home and started researching how to get faster on the trails and techniques for downhill running. Every weekend after that I went to a different trail system, getting lost, finding my way, overcoming obstacles, and getting stronger and more confident.
The Red Top Roaster seemed like a perfect race for my first official trail race. I new it was a hilly course and would be hot...but I had been training in those conditions, so I was ready!
Location: Red Top Mountain State Park
Date: August 3rd 2013
Weather: Hot and HUMID
Start time: 8:00 AM
Porta Potty Line: LONG

After doing triathlons, it always seems weird to go to a race in only running attire. No wetsuit, no bike--I'm just here to run! It was a beautiful morning and beautiful sunrise.


I arrived with plenty of time to check in, say hi to my friend Liz (a.k.a. Mountain Goat) who was working the check-in table and also running the 9.9 mile course.
I wandered around and stretched a little, checked out the competition. There were definitely some runners with their eyes set on the prize, and I did not want to get in their way! When they lined up at the front (Mountain Goat was up near the front too!), I placed myself near the back. The last thing I needed was to get trampled! Besides, I was treating this as a training run, right? Hahaha, that's such a funny and naive thing to think :) If you have an ounce of competitiveness in your bones, then when the race starts something inside you wants to push as hard as you can. Of course I started out faster than planned. I knew what was coming though, so I made myself slow down to some degree to conserve some energy for some big hills coming up.
This course was TOUGH. It was not very technical, but it was hilly...and hot and humid. I had my camelback with me and was so glad. The first water stop wasn't until we had gone about 3.5 miles! I would have died without my water! From there on out I was pouring the cool water at the aid stations all over my head and chest to attempt to cool down. It wasn't called the Red Top ROASTER for nothin!
One thing I like about trail racing is that it is OKAY to walk up the hills...even during a race! There isn't much time for your heart rate to come down on courses like this unless you walk the hills. Even running downhill is exhausting on your muscles (But fun!) :)
I definitely pushed myself during this race and around mile 7 I was wondering when it would be over. I was sweating buckets and continuing to push myself so that I could reach my goal of finishing in sub-2 hours. And....
I did it in 1:57!!!
Near the end of the course, you emerge from the woods and run onto the asphalt parking lot. People were directing us to a little paved path, which led to the finish line. I honestly wasn't sure what mile I was at since GPS gets a little behind when running on trails (see photo to the left. It was officially 9.9 miles, but GPS said 9.46). The volunteers were yelling "You're almost there, keept it up! Follow the path to the finish!"
Well, let me tell you...that "path to the finish" wound around for what seemed like an eternity until FINALLY I crossed the finish line! Mountain Goat had finished way before me and snagged the 2nd overall female podium spot! She was there cheering me on as I crossed the line and almost vomited all over. Luckily I just felt like vomiting and did not actually follow through :)
We stood around talking for a bit as I dripped puddles of sweat and tried not to pass out :P
I am definitely addicted to trail running. It's tough, but totally worth it! It is so nice to get out of the city and away from running around busy roads.
Trail runners are a great group of people too, and I want to be part of the group!
![]() |
| Jazz hands! |








No comments:
Post a Comment