Sunday, September 1, 2013

There Will Be Chafing: Lessons learned from a summer of long distance trail running



There WILL be chafing...and bug bites...and spiders in the face...and random scrapes and bruises.

There WILL be painful showers (when chafing is often discovered for the first time), ICE baths!, draining of blisters, and google searches for types of poisonous insects to make sure one of the bites you have won't kill you.  :)

But, in the end, it's worth it! 

"Is it really?", you might ask. 

I suppose it all depends on the person, but to me it IS worth it!
This summer, I discovered it is pretty much impossible to avoid chafing and blisters.  It has either been raining on my runs, or has been so humid that it might as well be raining.  So, either way, I am always running in soaking wet clothing.

An example of some minor chafing on my collarbone (believe me, it was worse elsewhere and the shower after the run sucked!).  Most likely caused from my hydration pack straps and bra straps pressing into the bone.  Lovely! Must remember to lather on the bag balm and/or other anti-chafing cream!


It has been so humid that even my shins have beads of sweat pouring down them!

The rain and humidity this summer has been so crazy that there seems to be a green layer of grossness growing on everything.  Trees, my driveway, my HOUSE! 


Since I'm new to this trail running thing, I thought it might be helpful to document things I've learned about trail running along the way.  Read on if you're interested, if not, I have included lots of pictures which may or may not be enjoyable for you :)

Here we go:

It seems every place I run has a different type of trail mapping system, and I get turned around quite a bit. The first time visiting a place, I spend a lot of wasted minutes trying to decide which way to go and figure out how to get back to where I came from.  This can be mentally exhausting and waste precious energy.



                                                                  Types of Terrain:



Different running surfaces allow for different speeds (this may seem like a 'duh' no brainer). 

For example, running on compact dirt, red Georgia clay, etc is somewhat similar to running on asphalt or concrete.  The photo to the left is an example of a smooth, fast trail, with more compacted dirt.

This is the ideal terrain if you are looking for some fast trail running times, and if you are a beginner without experience on more technical trails.

Red Top Mountain State Park has some great, spacious trails that are good for beginners.




On the other end of the spectrum, Sope Creek (pictured left), which is part of the Chattahoochee Nature Area, offers a more technical trail experience.  It is probably not considered technical by experienced trail runners, but by MY standards it is tough!

Lots of mud, a few creek crossings, lots of rocks and roots and some gravel areas as well.

This was the first trail system I ran at the beginning of the summer and it almost caused me to give up all hope...but when I went back the second time after getting more experience under my belt, it wasn't as bad.  Still tough and challenging, but not hope crushing!




If the terrain includes gravel, or if it's sandy, loose dirt, or thick mud...then with each step you take you are losing more energy into the surface, meaning you go slower in general.

When you add in tree roots, rocks, pinestraw hiding roots and rocks, then it complicates things a little more :)

Sure, in my 3 months of trail running so far, I have rolled my ankles several times, tripped over a zillion things (including my own feet), fallen (only once, yippee, and knock on wood!), and had meltdown moments, but I continued on.




It can be frustrating running trails because it takes longer to go any distance. You are going to run slower on the trails than when running on the road.  It's ok.  Do not let it get to your head.  It's NORMAL.

It is perfectly OKAY and NORMAL to walk up the big hills even in a trail race! 

Sometimes GPS watches are not 100% accurate (gasp! shocker, I know!), and when running on trails in the woods, they may lose the signal more frequently.  I was suspecting this and it was confirmed on a 9.9 mile trail race course when my watch said 9.46 at the finish.  So, it is off by roughly 0.5 mile per every 10 miles.  That little difference adds up when training for a 30 mile race!  I'm not gonna lie, it was kind of nice realizing that I am running a little faster average pace than I thought :)

Physical Benefits of Trail Running:

Trail running works all kinds of different muscles, from your feet to your core to your head.  My problem knee actually hurts LESS running on trails and I also seem to get less blisters and less overuse-type pains.  My theory on this is that because you are landing differently with each step on the trail, due to different terrain, etc, then it is better for your body!

Trail Runner Body
Marathoner Body













Trail runner body vs. typical marathoner body...I mean, which of these bodies would you prefer? Without a doubt I want that trail runner body with muscular legs and core, looking very strong and sexy.

The Mental Game:

Trail running is not only very physically demanding, but it can be pretty mentally exhausting as well, since you always have to be paying attention to the trail and planning your next step well in advance. It also does a number on you mentally when you are out in the woods alone for 4-5 hrs.  You may hear things rustling in the forest, see things move by your feet as you run by, and start imagining scenarios from horror movies (not that I have EVER done this!) :) 

What was that noise?  Is there something behind me? Just. Keep. Running!!
And now back to the topic of chafing...


Chafing and Blister Prevention:

I have tried A LOT of things along the line of anti-chafing creams and blister prevention/treatment.  Here is what I finally found to work the best:  Liquid Body Glide for my feet and injinji toe socks do an excellent job at preventing blisters and the toe socks even helped correct a problem with a sore 2nd toenail/toe. 


For the rest of my body I use a recipe given to me by an ultracyclist, ultratriathlete, ultraendurance everything friend.  One can of Bag Balm, 1 tablespoon Hydrocortisone Cream, 1 tablespoon Neosporin.  Whip it all up together in the can.  Apply generously allllll over chafing-prone areas :) 


Hopefully this will be helpful to others out there who are just starting out and/or who have been searching for solutions to some common problems all of us runners seem to face!

In other news....


My 6 hour trail race at Dauset Trails is in 2 weeks!  I am hoping and praying that this weather cools down a little by then.  Other than worrying about the weather, I feel like I am as ready as I can be.  Last Sunday was the longest run before the race and the furthest I have run in my life!  I ran 24 miles on the trails at Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield and Historic Park, and it was definitely a CHALLENGE.  I did it though, and it is tougher than the race course, so I know I can do it on race day!



Annnnnd now it's Taper Time!



2 comments: